Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 16th, 2023 at 9:27:53 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Lots of us have. I personally have stopped gas station clerks from discarding the leathery toughened hot dogs that have been rolling on the grill a few hours more than usual,
link to original post

Or a few weeks more than usual, how would you know the difference. Drich would know, being a connoisseur of gas station hot dogs.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
December 16th, 2023 at 10:08:26 AM permalink
I've been experimenting with eggless cheese omelets.
Get a frying pan hot until it sizzles. Drop a handful of shredded mozzarella and wait until it is turning brown. Add some ricotta, a bit of parmesan some diced tomatoes, bacon bits, a dollop of sour cream or whatever you like. As it cooks, push everything towards the middle so you end up with an eggroll shape. flip it a few times so it is well-browned. Take it off the flame and let it sit a few minutes. Drizzle with a sauce. I mostly use salsa but have tried maple syrup on occasion.
From start to finish, it takes less than ten minutes and can be a breakfast or a snack.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
December 16th, 2023 at 10:37:24 AM permalink
I wonder if they found any sauerkraut in Egyptian tombs? It seems to smell the same no matter how old it gets.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
December 16th, 2023 at 10:40:08 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Get a frying pan hot until it sizzles. Drop a handful of shredded mozzarella and wait until it is turning brown. Add some ricotta, a bit of parmesan some diced tomatoes, bacon bits, a dollop of sour cream or whatever you like. As it cooks, push everything towards the middle so you end up with an eggroll shape. flip it a few times so it is well-browned. Take it off the flame and let it sit a few minutes. Drizzle with a sauce. I mostly use salsa but have tried maple syrup on occasion.
From start to finish, it takes less than ten minutes and can be a breakfast or a snack.
link to original post

Oh, this sounds excellent! I gotta give it a go.
A falling knife has no handle.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
December 16th, 2023 at 10:51:49 AM permalink

I'm sure they come out great.
I'm not sure what the sensible name would be.
May the cards fall in your favor.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 16th, 2023 at 11:51:14 AM permalink
Last night (and thus also this morning).

Grover’s. Amazing burger joint. Supposedly was originally Grover Cleveland’s hunting cabin.

Burger special of the day….
“Grilled Cheese Cheeseburger”

They make a regular grilled cheese sandwich. Then they make another. Then the big juicy burger covered in melted cheese.
(I added bacon and sautéed onions on top of the burger.) They use the two grilled cheese sandwiches as the top and bottom ‘bun’. They do offer lettuce and tomato which I declined.

I attacked it by taking the top grilled cheese sandwich and eating it separately. Then fork for the cheesy oniony bacony burger.

Side of 1/2 and 1/2. That’s fries and onion rings. I ate 50% of burger, most of the onion rings and a few fries. The rest was breakfast this morning.

Quadruple bypass scheduled for next week…!?!
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Mosca
December 16th, 2023 at 11:55:25 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

link to original post

Oh, this sounds excellent! I gotta give it a go.
link to original post

Please let me know if you perfect it or improve it.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
December 16th, 2023 at 12:01:16 PM permalink

link to original post

I originally called it Fried Mozzerella, but I've added so much that it isn't accurate. It's made like an omelet so that's what I call them.
Breadless grilled cheese? The best part is they slide right out of a non-stick pan so cleanup is minimal. That is a factor in my cooking.
billryan
billryan
December 16th, 2023 at 12:06:09 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Grover’s. Amazing burger joint. Supposedly was originally Grover Cleveland’s hunting cabin.

They make a regular grilled cheese sandwich. Then they make another. Then the big juicy burger covered in melted cheese.
(I added bacon and sautéed onions on top of the burger.) They use the two grilled cheese sandwiches as the top and bottom ‘bun’. They do offer lettuce and tomato which I declined.

I attacked it by taking the top grilled cheese sandwich and eating it separately. Then fork for the cheesy oniony bacony burger.

Side of 1/2 and 1/2. That’s fries and onion rings. I ate 50% of burger, most of the onion rings and a few fries. The rest was breakfast this morning.

link to original post

A chain called Friendly's had those for a few years. I had them on occasion. I vaguely recall being disappointed.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
December 16th, 2023 at 12:11:11 PM permalink

link to original post

Please allow me to suggest that bypass surgery is no fun.
If being shorn by nubile attendants is your thing, there are better ways to get that.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
December 16th, 2023 at 12:29:24 PM permalink
Had 1/2 Safeway sourced blue berry muffin.

Ech...too much oil in the batter.
"What, me worry?"
Mosca
Mosca
December 16th, 2023 at 1:30:37 PM permalink

link to original post

I’d call it a frico omelet. “Frico” is what that fried cheese is called.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
December 17th, 2023 at 4:44:35 AM permalink

Taylor Pork Roll, egg, and cheese sandwich.
I think I slightly undercooked the pork roll
link to original post

(snip)

Adding slits to the pork roll to minimize curling is absolutely essential to properly developing the flavor and texture. I "knew" this, but I think it was a "I ignorably know it in my brain" rather than "I inescapably know it in the core of my soul" thing.

Much chewier and browner today. A few drops of 57 to accent it.
rxwine
rxwine
December 17th, 2023 at 4:58:39 AM permalink

link to original post

The trick is to go out and run 4-5 miles afterward. No bypass needed. You just drop dead.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
December 17th, 2023 at 9:36:39 AM permalink
This could go into remember when, but I was just comparing the ice maker to those steel ice trays with the handle you pulled up to break them loose. If I filled it, it would almost always be too filled, then it was a bear to break with just the handle, Hmm, they might have been aluminum, but either way they were too thick to bend and break the ice that way.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
December 17th, 2023 at 9:43:16 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

This could go into remember when, but I was just comparing the ice maker to those steel ice trays with the handle you pulled up to break them loose. If I filled it, it would almost always be too filled, then it was a bear to break with just the handle, Hmm, they might have been aluminum, but either way they were too thick to bend and break the ice that way.
link to original post

The ones I've seen were aluminum.
Better thermal characteristics, less rusty.
I was always amused by the way the insert wiggled.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 17th, 2023 at 11:54:30 AM permalink
Heavy cream is lighter than Skim milk.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
odiousgambit
December 17th, 2023 at 12:31:09 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

How else would it rise to the top?
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 17th, 2023 at 1:20:52 PM permalink

link to original post

But is a Sherman tank lighter than a Volkswagen Beetle.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
December 17th, 2023 at 4:27:23 PM permalink
For lunch, my usual homemade bacon cheeseburger and corn on the cob. (I stock up on corn over the summer.)

For dinner, chicken curry, and for dessert, a slice of homemade, well, I think it's called "soda cake"; it's made with a box of Betty Crocker Spice Cake mix, but instead of water, oil, and eggs, I add 16 ounces of Zero Sugar Ginger Ale. It does come out a little light. Also, I added a cup of what started out as vanilla yogurt coated raisins, but after 30 minutes of baking in a Bundt pan, the raisins (a) all sank to the bottom of the pan (which, of course, is the top of the cake), and (b) had their coatings melt off.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
December 17th, 2023 at 4:34:39 PM permalink
Don't leave home without 'em:

"What, me worry?"
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
December 17th, 2023 at 4:54:13 PM permalink

... and this was a new form of cane sugar
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
unJonodiousgambit
December 17th, 2023 at 5:21:48 PM permalink
12oz filets cut from a Creekstone Farms whole tenderloin, wrapped in applewood smoked bacon and topped with blue cheese butter. Au gratin potatoes, broccoli.

billryan
billryan
Thanked by
odiousgambit
December 23rd, 2023 at 7:30:46 AM permalink
It's shaping up to be a pizza for breakfast day. A steady, soaking rain has postponed my plans for the second day. My new shed was delivered on Friday, and I'd planned on moving all the stuff on my sun porch into it and reclaiming that space.
My only decision is to get up and call the pizza breakfast or lounge around in bed long enough for an early lunch.
Perhaps I'll sleep on it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 24th, 2023 at 4:58:41 PM permalink
This was my Christmas Eve dinner to get ready for the feast tomorrow. I took a 5 lb ham put it in the instant pot with two cups of red wine, one sugar-free Coke, half a cup of bourbon, one orange quartered, two lemons quartered, four yellow onions quartered, one cup of blueberries, a couple teaspoons each of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. 1/4 cup of granulated stevia which is a sugar substitute very very similar to sugar. Cooked it for 15 minutes and left it in the instant pot for 5 hours. The gravy I made out of this might be the best gravy I've ever made. Like Colonel Sanders always said, the gravy was the most important part of his meal and it was what he concentrated on the most in his restaurants.

I removed the ham and removed the oranges and lemons and pureed the whole thing with a stick blender. Added a thickener and season to taste and you can put the stuff on a tennis ball and eat it it was that good. I have a ton of it left for the next few days it will get only better. The contrast of the sweet, sour, and savory makes this very complex tasting. And the color is fantastic.

DRich
DRich
December 24th, 2023 at 5:54:09 PM permalink
That looks great Bob. My Christmas Eve dinner was beef jerky. For tomorrow I bought a 9lb Honey Baked Ham and a 3lb Honey Baked Smoked turkey breast. The best part is that they are already cooked so I don't have to do anything.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 24th, 2023 at 6:32:41 PM permalink

That looks great Bob. My Christmas Eve dinner was beef jerky. For tomorrow I bought a 9lb Honey Baked Ham and a 3lb Honey Baked Smoked turkey breast. The best part is that they are already cooked so I don't have to do anything.
link to original post

The one I made today was already cooked. It's very hard to find a ham that isn't already cooked or smoked. You can cook an already cooked ham and it gets even better.
DRich
DRich
December 25th, 2023 at 4:32:24 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

link to original post

The one I made today was already cooked. It's very hard to find a ham that isn't already cooked or smoked. You can cook an already cooked ham and it gets even better.
link to original post

Yes, most are already prepared for eating. I am just too lazy to heat them up. I will set it out to get to room temperature and I am happy with that.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
December 25th, 2023 at 6:12:43 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Yes, most are already prepared for eating. I am just too lazy to heat them up. I will set it out to get to room temperature and I am happy with that.
link to original post

That's taking "low and slow" to a whole new level.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 25th, 2023 at 8:03:51 AM permalink
I have simple wants. Just cut up two large onions. Pound of mushrooms. Couple teaspoons of minced garlic. Paprika. Salt. Fried in olive oil until the onion are just turning black. It’s a giant plate of low carb deliciousness.

Wifey making a (WAY TOO BIG) ham. Stuffing. Creamed corn. Scalloped potatoes. That will be a high carb disaster.

I’d hire EB to come and cook but he doesn’t like me.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 25th, 2023 at 9:29:43 AM permalink

link to original post

No kidding. What was your first clue, Sherlock..
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
SOOPOOodiousgambit
December 25th, 2023 at 9:32:11 AM permalink

I have simple wants. Just cut up two large onions. Pound of mushrooms. Couple teaspoons of minced garlic. Paprika. Salt. Fried in olive oil until the onion are just turning black. It’s a giant plate of low carb deliciousness.

Wifey making a (WAY TOO BIG) ham. Stuffing. Creamed corn. Scalloped potatoes. That will be a high carb disaster.

link to original post

I'd be worried if he did.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 25th, 2023 at 8:34:10 PM permalink
Open face ham sandwich with sauteed portobello and white mushrooms. Gravy is even better the second day. Chinese garlic green beans and shrimp. Always use frozen or fresh green beans and don't cook them very long, just a couple minutes till the crispness is almost gone.

billryan
billryan
December 26th, 2023 at 11:23:21 AM permalink
It's a different take on a grilled cheese sandwich.

Slathered butter and garlic on sourdough bread and set it in the oversized frying pan. Dropped a glob of rough-cut mozzarella, a spoonful of ricotta, and several passes with a can of grated parm directly onto the pan.. I flipped the bread until golden, added the slightest taste of ala vodka sauce, put the cheese on one slice, and completed the sandwich.

I give the idea a solid 9, but the execution was more like a 6. It needs tweaking.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
unJon
December 26th, 2023 at 3:23:20 PM permalink
Okay, walk with me here a minute. This is all about using everything up, leaving no waste.

I offload in advance a lot of the work that goes around the Christmas feast; Friday I made the jus for the roast. When it was done, I was left with this:

And a quart of really excellent jus.

There is a lot of really good stuff left in what I strained out. I don’t really care about the celery and onions, but I’ll be damned if I’m throwing out the meat from those rib bones, the carrots, and the mushrooms.

That’s a “tweener” amount of food, though. It’s too much for one person, but not enough for three or four, and we have a couple house guests for the next two weeks. So I made some pie dough, and turned it into four individual pasties. I added some cornstarch to the leftover jus, and turned it into a meal for four people! Also, leftover mashed and broccoli. My depression era grandmother is smiling.

DRich
DRich
December 26th, 2023 at 4:00:20 PM permalink
I cooked a $17 pot roast for the dogs. They enjoyed it and it was gone in about one minute. Normally I wouldn't cook just for the dogs but the wife left this pot roast in the refrigerator a few days past the date on the package. We weren't going to eat it but the dogs didn't seem to mind it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 27th, 2023 at 9:45:48 PM permalink
Green bean, shrimp, onion, mushroom, scrambled eggs.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
December 30th, 2023 at 4:06:59 PM permalink
Last day of a road trip with Ashly. Left the kids with Grandma on the 25th and have been going places ever since.

Most of that was cooking for ourselves; she's trying to reduce a size, I'm supposed to be eating in accordance with my care team's goals of billing me for several more decades of services.

We did decide it was either a treat day or a cheat* day. Stopped at a diner about an hour from the house. She saw me looking at the chorizo omelette special and told me I'd get punched and she'd call the cardiologist to tattle. "Chorizo is too greasy!" she exclaimed, ignoring my pleas that "Life has to be worth living."

I was resigned to the hamburger steak & eggs - a half pound lean angus patty, two eggs over easy, hash brown potatoes (this diner does them to my liking), and toast. I think the waitress took pity on me and dolloped some extra butter on the toast.

After I deposited her at the house, I continued to the meat market and found a special on some linguica. The chorizo special would have been healthier, and I called later to tell her so. Someone more devout than me will have to let me know if dripping sausage grease qualifies as Extreme Unction - but my soul certainly feels more whole.

I foresee an abundance of cholesterol-fighting oatmeal in my future.

Also mixed in, several crunchy tart apples - somewhere between Pink Lady and Empire. Very enjoyable.

She also explicitly told me that a cheat day does not mean I can step out with any of her friends.
DRich
DRich
December 30th, 2023 at 4:27:54 PM permalink

After I deposited her at the house, I continued to the meat market and found a special on some linguica. The chorizo special would have been healthier, and I called later to tell her so. Someone more devout than me will have to let me know if dripping sausage grease qualifies as Extreme Unction - but my soul certainly feels more whole.

My wife bought some sausages today at Aldi and they were wonderful but they were also the greasiest sausage that I have ever eaten.

Dinner: Sausage link and 5 tater tots.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 31st, 2023 at 7:43:37 AM permalink
Part of breakfast at wife's request, home fries

If you have potatoes already cooked, you can use them, but I prefer to start with raw potatoes, cut them up, and parboil them for 2 minutes. Fry in an iron skillet at pretty high heat, just enough fat to cover the bottom, drain quickly, and keep stirring them around. Be prepared to wait an eternity for the water to steam off with this method

PS, had to use imgur, I used up all my image space here and don't know how to delete some

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 31st, 2023 at 4:22:32 PM permalink
Shrimp and avocado open face sandwich top with caramelized onions.

billryan
billryan
December 31st, 2023 at 4:53:54 PM permalink
I signed up for five lunches and four weekly dinners for a local food subscription service. Meals are cooked and need to be heated.
It's usually $99 a week, but seniors get 25% off, and new subscribers get the fourth week free. I can cancel or suspend service with a week's notice. The service is relatively new, but they catered the Christmas party, and it was good. I'd guess they got at least twenty people to sign up at the party. Their menu reflects that their customers are older and are relatively healthy. Chicken sausage, turkey burgers, bison burgers, plant-based meat sauce, ricotta and cortege cheese blend in the lasagna, etc.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
odiousgambit
January 2nd, 2024 at 2:16:25 PM permalink
Polish Hoppin’ John. I sautéed up about a pound of kielbasa, a makeshift trinity (celery, onion, bell peppers, makeshift because I had mixed peppers instead of all green), and some garlic.

I added a pound of black-eyed peas from Rancho Gordo, and a couple quarts of chicken stock.

A couple hours later: 3 cups of white rice, some more water, three tablespoons of Neau Bay seasoning (from Heaven Made Products), and a tablespoon or so of black pepper. Then just let it simmer until the rice is fully cooked, and… Hoppin’ John!

Highly recommended.

billryan
billryan
January 2nd, 2024 at 2:58:18 PM permalink
Roast turkey, stuffing, and gravy, with cinnamon apples in a sauce for dessert. One of the prepared meals I'm trying. I wasn't crazy about the stuffing but the meat and gravy were superior. Tonight's meal is eggplant parmesan with penne/ricotta/sauce.
At $10 a meal, it is very convenient. No pots or pans to clean. Not much prep work and it is an easy cleanup. If I were cooking, my costs would be about half, but then you have the shopping and cleaning. I throw away a fair amount of food, but with the plan I will eliminate most leftovers.
Mosca
Mosca
January 2nd, 2024 at 4:03:24 PM permalink

If I were cooking, my costs would be about half, but then you have the shopping and cleaning. I throw away a fair amount of food, but with the plan I will eliminate most leftovers.
link to original post

That is a challenge. I try to combine trips; I grocery shop on Tuesdays for the senior discount; and I use the pharmacy at the grocery store. I don’t mind the cleaning, I clean as I go and have a dishwasher.

I try to get creative with leftovers; some things can go into omelets and salads. But a lot of them become soup, with varying degrees of success. We had a family restaurant near us; Junie would have Reuben sandwiches as a lunch special, and the next day the soup would be Reuben soup. Or lasagna/lasagna soup. That being said, meatloaf soup should have just stayed leftover meatloaf.
DRich
DRich
January 2nd, 2024 at 6:41:10 PM permalink

I try to get creative with leftovers; some things can go into omelets and salads. But a lot of them become soup, with varying degrees of success. We had a family restaurant near us; Junie would have Reuben sandwiches as a lunch special, and the next day the soup would be Reuben soup. Or lasagna/lasagna soup. That being said, meatloaf soup should have just stayed leftover meatloaf.

That is one thing that I don't do. To me, leftovers are the exact same meal a day or two later. I don't mind eating the exact same food many days in a row. My wife is just the opposite, after the second day she refuses to eat it again because she is tired of it.
Mosca
Mosca
January 2nd, 2024 at 7:05:01 PM permalink
Oh, I’ve done that, too. Mrs Mosca can make it 2 days, but that’s usually it max. When I was single this pot of Hoppin’ John would be for a week. But we got house guests, and with the four of us it will be gone by tomorrow. Now that I’m retired I’m trying to think of different things. A vacuum sealer and a deep freezer is for when I can’t come up with anything.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 3rd, 2024 at 7:19:19 AM permalink

A vacuum sealer and a deep freezer is for when I can’t come up with anything.
link to original post

I have three freezers, two chest freezers in the basement and a smaller upright freezer upstairs. I totally depend on them, can't imagine not having a freezer. They allow me to buy in bulk. For instance my wife's favorite ice cream was on sale last month so I bought 15 of them and stored them here in one of my freezers. She comes over once in a while and takes a few. If you want a happy wife buy her favorite food in quantity. Like somebody said the other day in a video I was watching, men are the only creatures that are not loved unconditionally. We are always loved by what we give to a woman and I have discovered giving my wife food that she likes is a no-brainer. When she sees that freezer loaded up with her favorite ice cream all I get is positive affirmation. It's Hudsonville malted milk ball, in case you're wondering. It actually has chocolate malted milk balls in the ice cream.

Mosca
Mosca
January 3rd, 2024 at 7:55:36 AM permalink

can't imagine not having a freezer. They allow me to buy in bulk.

Absolutely. The deep freezer was a game changer for me. In my case, it’s beef, chicken and pork. I buy whole strip loins and rib primals, whole racks of spares in bulk, etc, and cut/trim them myself. The savings are proportional to the quality; higher quality costs more, but is greater value relative to what I can get shopping locally. It also allows me to make meals in bulk, then seal and store portions for later; a huge pot of bolognese and meatballs doesn’t have to get eaten every day for a week, I can vac seal and freeze 8 portions and use it over the next year.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 3rd, 2024 at 8:39:06 AM permalink

Absolutely. The deep freezer was a game changer for me.
link to original post

It's interesting that you referred to it twice as a 'deep freezer'. I've seen the term written down but I've never heard anybody use it before. Is that a local thing, what state are you from. I don't think I've ever heard it referred to even on TV or in the movies is anything but a freezer.
  • Jump to: